Tuesday November 08 Lunch Meeting
Englewood Rotary Club – November 8, 2016
Meeting Location: Crowne Plaza, Englewood
Presiding: Jill Abbott
Recorder: Mitch Schonfeld
Visiting Rotarians and Guests: Guest Speaker Herrat Sommerhoff
President Jill Abbott made the following announcements: A food drive to support the Rotary Veteran’s Food Pantry for the Thanksgiving ho
- Board Meeting next week, 15th November
- Rotary Foundation Fundraiser on November 15, 6:30 to 9:30 pm at Seasons ($75 a head)
- Food Drive on November 19 outside ShopRite – Sign up coming around
- Our Fundraiser on November 20 – has changed to December 20 at Marchi’s see below.
- UN Day will be November 12
- Annual Thanksgiving Intra-Club Lunch at the Clinton Inn on Tuesday, November 22 at $25 a person.
- Gift of Life Lobsterfest, Sunday, November 27, Elks Club Paramus
- Gift of Life trip to Saigon in January where they will treat 25 to 30 kids. Looking for $3000 scholarships
- Fundraising Committee meeting after today’s meeting resulting in change of plans for November 20. Cost of catering was eating into profits. We are going less grand and less expensive. Event will now be $50 a head and will feature our Rotarian band.
- Jill received a phone call from Estelle Ebert last week sending her greetings to the Englewood club. She is a very active member in California and Gift of Life Chair who does a global grant every year.
- Volunteer Center 40th Anniversary Nov. 10th 6 PM at The Venetian
- Vantage Health Beefsteak on Monday Nov. 14th 6 to 10 PM at Brownstone
Bergen Family Center Annual Dinner Wed. Nov. 16th 6 PM Rockleigh Country Club
Program: Herrat Sommerhoff teaches at The Art Center of NJ in New Milford. Raised in Germany and directed by her family to attend business school, she never felt it was a good fit for her. She came to the US in 1959. She attended Bergen Community College to improve her Spanish and French to enhance her airline career. While there she took a painting class and was hooked. She took several fine arts classes and took a strong interest in kinetic art, which is based on geometry. She also enjoyed sculpture. She says that studying painting helps one to SEE. She brought several pieces of her work and circulated some press clippings. Her message to all is that if something is of interest then go and take a class and follow your interest. Sometimes it takes a while so keep trying.
50-50: none drawn
Attendance: 17 out of 73, 23%
November 22 Multi-club Thanksgiving Luncheon at the Clinton Inn