Tuesday October 11th Lunch Meeting
Our Guest Speaker today ........................... Bergen County Surrogate Michael Dressler
Englewood Rotary Club – October 11, 2016
Meeting Location: Crowne Plaza, Englewood
Presiding: Jill Abbott
Recorder: Mitch Schonfeld
Birthdays/Anniversaries: None Noted
Visiting Rotarians and Guests: Guest speaker, Bergen County Surrogate Michael Dressler, and his staff Jason & David, and Angelo Kouzinas of Investors Bank.
President Jill Abbott made the following announcements:
- Oktoberfest will be held on Tuesday, October 25th at 6:00 pm at the Crowne Plaza, no luncheon will occur that day, $50 per person, guests welcome
- Joe and Judy Klyde will host a Holiday Kickoff Fete on Sunday, November 20th from 50 to 7:00 pm at their home at 10 Van Wagoner Drive, Englewood Cliffs. Tickets are $100 per person and proceeds will benefit our club’s programs supporting Englewood youth
- The Rotary Foundation seminar will be held on October 18 and a fundraiser will occur on November 15
- Our district 7490 will be presenting Halloween Against Hunger on Saturday, October 22nd at the Hope Community Center in Paterson. To learn more about donating, volunteering for this contact RotaryHAH@gmail.com
- UN Day will occur on November 12th
- Rotary Leadership Institute Oct. 29th in Montclair
- Rotary Foundation Fundraiser Nov. 15th at Seasons $75
Steve Wiessner noted that the Grants Committee will meet after todays’ meeting.
Paul Farrell announced that the Membership Committee will also meet after next lunch
The Board will meet Next Tuesday
Lisa noted that Hockey in NJ is beginning in Englewood (see flyer)
Aleta circulated recent press releases about Rotary, including Eddie Hadden’s recent speaking engagement in DC, and the Teaneck International Film Festival in early Nov. sponsored by Teaneck Rotary
Steve announced The Flat Rock Fall Festival is Sunday between 1 & 4
Charlotte announced that the Englewood Historical Society is displaying an Englewood musician’s exhibit at the Mackay Park Gatehouse each weekend through December
Community Chest is holding an Octoberfest on Oct. 19th at the Englewood Field Club
Mitch announced that Bergen Family Center is celebrating 10 years of adolescent services at the Nov. 16th Annual Awards Dinner
Program: Michael Dressler is in his last year of his fifth four year term as Surrogate. NJ’s Constitution allows for three officers, Sheriff, Clerk and Surrogate. The Surrogate concept comes from the 1600’s in England. Initially, surrogates in NJ were appointed by the Governor and then by the Legislature. Since 1844 the surrogates are elected to four year terms. They “stand in place of another” in matters of adoptions, guardianships, interests of minor children and they submit wills to probate for authentication, and help estates without a will pass intestate. The County Surrogate offices has opened 10 satellite offices around the county to accommodate those unable to get to Hackensack.
Three essential documents everyone should have are 1(Will; 2) Power of Attorney & 3) Advanced Medical Directive. Dying in NJ without a will can result in assets passing against one’s wishes or expectations. Having a will ensures that assets will go to whom designated. Right now estates larger than $675K are subject to tax. On Jan 1, 2017 the limit increases to $2.2M and on Jan. 1, 2018 the limit is removed. There are also inheritance taxes. Children, spouses and grandchildren pay no taxes on estate inheritance. Siblings and other relatives do pay anywhere from 11 to 16%.
A Power of Attorney can be set up either to take effect immediately and/or to begin only when the person is deemed medically & legally incompetent.
An Advanced Medical Directive gives hospitals and doctors clear guidelines on the medical treatment and the type of care one receives, especially regarding life saving measures such as feeding tubes, ventilator and other “heroic action”.
Our own Vicky Brown, will give a talk at the National Business Institute on 10/31/16 in Newark on The Probate Process Explained at 8:30 - 9:15
50-50: With 32 cards in the deck and $183 in the pot, Joe Klyde picked the 5 of Clubs
Attendance: Do not know
October 18 None noted
October 25 Oktoberfest evening event, no luncheon