Tuesday September 13th Lunch Meeting
Englewood Councilman at Large, Charles Cobb and Victoria Pulley of the Englewood Recreation Department joined us today and presented the many ways that the Recreation Department is helping the residents of Englewood.....in fun ways.
Victoria picked today's winning number.
President Jill Abbott, Victoria Pulley, Englewood Recreation Department, Charles Cobb, Councilman at Large, Dr Jim Cole and Phil Ball, who introduced our speakers today.
Englewood Rotary Club – September 13, 2016
Meeting Location: Crowne Plaza, Englewood
Presiding: Jill Abbott
Recorder: Mitch Schonfeld
Birthdays/Anniversaries: None Noted
Visiting Rotarians and Guests: Ann Davis, Charles Cobb and Victoria Pulley
President Jill Abbott made the following announcements:
- District Directories and Banners are now available
- Governor Steve Jarahian will visit the club Sept. 20th, preceded by an 11:30 Bd. Mtg.
- Background check applications are available for those doing youth work for Rotary
- SESCIL Dinner Crown Plaza 9/29 6PM $125 per, honoring Janet Sharma.
- Vocational assembly Oct. 5th
- Rotary Foundation seminar Oct 18 6PM Paramus $50 per
- Halloween against Hunger Oct. 22nd asking each club to donate $150
- CFA celebrating 40th anniversary Oct. 27 6 PM Seasons $150 per
- UN Day Nov. 12th
- Rotary Foundation fundraiser Nov. 15. Seasons $75 per
Program: Phil Ball introduced Charles Cobb, Englewood Councilman at Large and Victoria Pulley, of the Englewood Recreation Department. They presented on the many ways the Rec. dep’t. is serving youth in the community. The emphasis was on the recent track team which qualified to go to the national finals in Sacremento. A newspaper article indicated that the club lacked sufficient funds to pay all the expenses and the community was asked to donate. Victoria indicated that the City budget pays the basic cost for all the rec. dep’t. teams and that the teams that move on to higher levels of competition are not funded now by the City for those events. Charles says the Council is studying the issue to find ways to support the positive achievements of the youth without also increasing taxes on residents. Our Club is very interested to help with specific financial support, as well as with the larger issue of helping the youngsters throughout the City have increased opportunities.
50-50: With 34 cards in the deck and $158 in the pot, Dave Chazen’s number was called. Since he was absent our guest, Victoria, picked the Jack of Clubs on his behalf.
Attendance: 24 out of 73, 32%
September 20 District Governor Steve Jarahian